Tuesday, September 9, 2014

SO darn adorable!

After a successful session with one of my Preschool Readers, a very sweet and smart two-year-old girl, I went straight home and emailed her mom, who was at work while her daughter and I had our session.
I typed...“I just got home from my reading session with your daughter and I can’t help myself: she is just so darn adorable!”  
Her mother emailed me back the next morning….”When I returned from work after your first session my daughter told me, ‘Miss Lisa is very pretty. She has looong hair. She has beautiful dresses.’ It was definitely a mutual admiration!”
How stinking sweet!  
But all cuteness aside, do you know what it is about her and all of the other kiddos I work with that makes them so darn adorable?  
It’s their intense desire to learn!  It’s contagious!  It’s, yup...so darn adorable!  
They are beyond proud of themselves at the end of each session. That great big grin they get on their face when they finish reading a book, the way they wiggle and do a sort of ‘happy dance’ when they've successfully completed an activity, the way they run out of our session to show their parents their new words….
Preschool children actually WANT to learn and ENJOY doing so!     
John Holt, in his book How Children Learn, describes the natural learning style of young children: The child is curious. He wants to make sense out of things, find out how things work, gain competence and control over himself and his environment, and do what he can see other people doing.  
And did you know that preschoolers are HARDWIRED to learn?!
Their brains are actually hardwired to learn and the younger the brain, the more malleable it is.  This is why young children are like sponges and learning to read as a preschooler is as natural and effortless as learning to speak one’s native language (check out this fun visual)!   


The early years lay the neurological foundation for intellectual growth into adolescence and adulthood


So if you’re ready to activate your child’s natural desire to learn, contact Preschool Readers today!
Happy reading,
Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment