Monday, October 13, 2014

Are you lucky?

It’s no secret that I absolutely LOVE what I do!  
How LUCKY I am to be able to call this work… I’m truly blessed and am extremely grateful!   
I’m often asked how I ‘came up with it.’  
I can understand where that question comes from.  After all, I don’t have preschool age children and I’ve never taught in a preschool classroom.
Before Preschool Readers I was a special needs kindergarten teacher.  For nine years I instructed students in all subject matter.  
I LOVED it!  To them, every day was exciting and fun… their attitude was contagious!  
As I taught I kept my favorite Maya Angelou quote close to my heart, “I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”  
More than anything I wanted my students to feel safe, and cared for.  I wanted them to feel smart, sure of themselves, and like they could do and be anything!
However, year after year I saw them struggle with reading.  
I watched as their confidence diminished.  
They didn’t want to try anymore.  
In essence, they stopped feeling good about reading.  
And as the standards increased, becoming more rigorous and demanding, I realized I had to change the way I taught my reading lessons.  
That same Maya Angelou quote was behind the first change I made...
I knew that if I could only help to make them feel good about their reading abilities, then I’d quickly see a change in their attitude towards reading.  You see, confident children are eager to learn new skills and face new challenges.  
Once I built up their CONFIDENCE I saw a HUGE change in their DESIRE to learn!
And from that simple quote...from that simple idea of wanting them to remember how I made them feel about reading and their reading ability...Preschool Readers was born!
Words really can’t describe how wonderful it is to see children fall in love with reading!  It’s not only amazing to see them enjoy it so much but to see how PROUD they are of themselves...that is priceless!
How truly lucky I am to be able to call this work!  
Happy reading,
P.S. Receiving these notes never gets old ❤
_20141013_023810.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment